The field of gerontology in the Netherlands involves multiple disciplines. The NVG-KNOWS aims to connect the following disciplines and professional organisations:
- Netherlands Society for Clinical Geriatrics (NVKG)
- The Geriatrics and Gerontology department of the Nurses and Carers Netherlands (V&VN Geriatrie & Gerontologie)
- Netherlands Society for Physiotherapy in Geriatrics (NVFG)
- Verenso – Dutch Association of Elderly Care Physicians and Social Geriatricians
- Dutch Association of Psychologists, Section Psychologists in Aged Care (NIP/SPOZ)
- Society Psychology and Older adults (VPO)
- Vilans – National Centre of Expertise Centre for Long-term Care in the Netherlands
- The Netherlands Organisation for Health Research and Development (ZonMw)
- Netherlands Society for Gerodontology (NVGd)
- BeterOud – Living, wellbeing and care
For the organisation of the world congress of the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics (IAGG) to be held in Amsterdam in 2025, NVG-KNOWS is collaborating with the Netherlands Society for Clinical Geriatrics (NVKG), the Netherlands Society for Ageing Research (NVVVO/DuSRA), the The Geriatrics and Gerontology department of the professional organisation for Nurses and Carers Netherlands (V&VN Geriatrie & Gerontologie) and the Netherlands Society for Physiotherapy in Geriatrics (NVFG).
Members of NVG-KNOWS are well represented at national conferences such as the geriatrics conference called ‘Geriatriedagen’. Members also have connections with individuals, groups and initiatives in the area of ageing research and policy. Exchanging knowledge and experience at a national level is important for national synchronisation and advancement of quality of research and policy. An example of this is the Living Lab in Ageing & Long-Term Care (AWO).
The NVG-KNOWS management and committee members Rixt Zijlstra, Ruud Kempen and Silke Metzelthin are connected with the Living Lab in Ageing & Long-Term Care Zuid-Limburg (AWO-ZL). The Lab connects research, practice and education to achieve better and innovative care for older adults. Opportunities and innovations arise from mutual inspiration in the daily care for older adults.